Skip navigation

Can I travel between states to use voluntary assisted dying somewhere else?


All Australian laws require you to have been resident in the state for at least 12 months before using their voluntary assisted dying law. There are exceptions in Queensland, Tasmania and New South Wales - and soon in the Australian Capital Territory - where you can apply for a special consideration if you live outside the state or territory but have ‘substantial connections’ (such as being a former resident or your family living in the state).